Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Better, kind of

The good news is Caroline's rash cleared up in a few days.  She felt a lot better after sleeping one night for 16 hours and taking lots of naps.  The bad news is a couple days later she started teething.  And it's the back molars.  So, she's been really whiny and clingy.  I've been reading about the development for one year olds and a lot of them mention that at around one, a lot of babies start having worse separation anxiety, become very clingy, and start changing their sleeping habits. Check, check, and check.  She has also learned to shake her head "no" and refuses to learn to nod her head for yes.  It all leaves me wondering what happened to my sweet, obliging little baby. 

Eli had spring break last week, although I don't think it was much of a break for him.  He shadowed an internal medicine doctor on Monday and Tuesday, spent Wednesday with us, went to the BYU NCAA game on Thursday, and studied all day on Friday and Saturday.  It was nice to spend the evenings with him and to see him more.  I think he enjoyed not having a ton of new material everyday.  

We have had a crazy week so far.  Eli's dad came into town on Tuesday morning for a tradeshow.  I was supposed to pick him up at 11:30 a.m.  I had an appointment for Caroline's 12 month immunizations at 9:50.  While she was eating breakfast she kind of choked on a banana and barfed.  I thought it was just because she choked, and she acted happy and normal after that and kept eating.  So, we were pulling into the doctors office and I heard her cough and then burp.  When I went to get her out of the car she had barfed slimy green smoothie all over!  And I mean ALL OVER!  It smelled horrible.  Until Tuesday, I had never had to deal with another persons vomit.  It's not fun.  I didn't know what to do and I was totally unprepared.  I only had a few wet wipes with me and I had no extra outfits because we live so close to the dr.s and we haven't had to deal with blowouts and changing outfits in a long time.  So, I just brought her in and they changed the appointment from immunizations to a real doctor visit.  I cleaned her up, but then I had to carry her around in just a diaper.  The doctor did a thorough check and said it was either a stomach bug or she was choking on the mucus from her teething.  She told me to give her some pediasure and see if she keeps it down.  So, I got some, ($13 for a 6 pack, what a rip off!) and she kept it down, but she acted sick and sad all afternoon.  We were able to pick up grandpa, but had to cancel going to lunch and the zoo because she wasn't feeling well.  She was miserable all afternoon but as soon as daddy came home she perked right up and was happy all night and even slept all night.  She also started walking across the room on her own.  What a big girl!

Anyway, that's a long story, but to sum it up, green smoothie vomit is the worst kind.  Enjoy these cute, rash-free pictures.
 
I can't resist this, her bottom is too cute.  Eli got her ready for a bath and brought her to me.  Of course she had to play with the dishwasher.  It's her favorite thing.

And then she peed on the rug.

She thought sitting on the counter for breakfast was the best thing in the world


Enjoying some pineapple with daddy.  Aunt Cindy sent her this cute outfit for her birthday.  It's my favorite.  And it's been in the 80s all week, so it came at the perfect time.  I didn't have any shorts for her.



Eating is her favorite thing.

And pointing.  Which is kind of rude, but she does it all the time.  Here's the left hand,

and now the right,

and finally the double point.



We went to eat on Saturday night to celebrate Eli's spring break.  Caroline loved it.


But she wasn't sure of the hippo.


p.s.
Although I am very sad I didn't get to go to Florida and North Carolina, now I see why.  It would have been a nightmare to deal with the rash, teething, and the vomiting at other peoples house.  I wouldn't have been able to handle it on my own without Eli.  I hate seeing her sick.

2 comments:

Alainarae said...

maybe one year old girls have more attitude than one year old boys, buT it is nothing compared to the two- turning three attitude!! You will definitely wonder what happened to your sweet, obliging baby when that age happens!

And I completely understand about the vomiting thing! I was once on my way to the Dr when Milo was just a tiny bit older than Caroline, and he had a high fever...right when we were almost to the doctor, he vomited in the car seat...It completely covered him from head to toe, and it was all over his car seat. Luckily, I was a few minutes early to the dr. and stopped at the store, I had hardly any wet wipes with me...I wiped him off, stripped him down, and carried him inside wrapped in my jacket..I had to buy him a pair of pj's and more wet wipes. I don't remember what he had eaten, I just remember that his car seat smelled like onions to me for the next 6 months, even after repeated washings with ammonia...Did you know Ammonia takes out smells? I use it in my laundry for Oliver's potty accident clothes, and they never smell like pee. FYI!
I'm glad she is mostly better...Hang in there! Love you!

Cindy Feuz said...

Her finger points! lol
Also baking soda takes out pee smell too..