Sunday, January 29, 2012

Crafts

I just thought this was so cute.  Caroline loves to look out the window in our room.  It's the perfect height for her right now.
Well, I think Caroline's room is done, for now, until we add another kid into it.  Don't worry, I'm not pregnant, nor do I plan on it anytime soon, I'm just thinking long-term here.  I think we could fit three kids in that room.  That would be great to not have to move again.  I hate moving.


Inspired by pinterest, and assisted by my mother-in-law, I made a paste out of cornstarch and water and pasted fabric to her dark, ugly, faux-wood closet doors in her room.  It turned out great!  It really brightened up her room and looks so much better! The paste doesn't leave a residue, so it's perfect for if you are renting.  You can also use it to stick fabric to walls.  I've heard you can do the same with liquid starch, but this was so cheap!  Just water and cornstarch!

Here's a close up of the fabric.  I got it at Hobby Lobby and I love it!  I am so glad Karen was there to help.  I tried it on my own before, but I really needed another pair of hands.   When I did it on my own I could not get all the bubbles and wrinkles out because it was too big of a piece to hold by myself.  Now I have to constrain myself from doing it to all the ugly doors in our apartment.  I don't want to go too crazy and make it too much.  But I am really considering doing it to the laundry room doors. 

I also made a butterfly garland to go above it.  It was really easy to do, I did it all out of scrapbook paper while we watched a movie, then we just strung them on twine and hung it up.  I like it with the door because it's girly without being too girly.

Thanks for all your help Karen.  I couldn't have done it without you!
Close up of the butterflies.  You just cut a square and a circle out of scrapbook paper, accordion fold both, hold them together and tie the middle.  I really like it. 

2 comments:

Emily said...

It does look great. If you need another pair of hands for your laundry doors, I'd love to help you. We need to reinstate crafternoons. I'll probably need a few weeks though....

: ) said...

that looks so pretty and cheery, Cherie. I love it. Beautiful butterflies too they really add happy color! Especially that gorgeous little butterfly looking out your bedroom window :)))
Love you, Jan