Saturday, February 14, 2009

Well, it was a rough week because I was sick, but I don't want to talk about that...other than to say that Eli is the best because he'll do anything to help me when I'm not feeling well. He'll miss class and take me to the doctor. He'll even go to the doctor's with me if I want him to. He's the best. Other than that, we're just getting ready for Valentines Day and a three day weekend. Our valentines day's are pretty low key. Eli makes dinner and we watch a movie. It's actually really nice to stay home and have fun together. I work until 6 today, then we'll start our date. I'm excited for it. We don't have any plans yet for Presidents day, I have to work a little, but that's about all. I'm going to write down some books I've read lately per Ronda's request.
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. I loved this book, thanks Emily for letting me borrow it. It is told by the perspective of Death about a German girl in Nazi Germany. Really good. I don't know if it's appropriate for Eden's age, but I think all of my sisters and friends would really like it.
Book of a Thousand Days by Shannon Hale. I think Eden and Quincey and adults would really like this fairy tale with a twist. It's really enjoyable and easy to read. I also like her other books The Goose Girl and Princess Academy.
Homecoming by Cynthia Voigt. This book is great. It's about a family of four siblings whose mother abandons them so the oldest daughter leads the family to their grandmother's house, walking all the way. It's really wonderful, I want to read the rest in the series.
Whirligig by Paul Fleishman. A new boy in town gets drunk at a party while trying to impress a girl, then drives drunk and hits another car. The girl in the other car dies and her family asks him to go to the four corners of the United States and build a whirligig in each place in her memory. I really like this book because you really see Brent, the main character, grow and mature right in front of your eyes as he comes to realize what is really important in life.
That's all I can think of for now. I hope some of you read some of those books. I think The Book Thief is my favorite. It's really a beautiful and moving book!
Enjoy!
Cherie
Oh yeah, and not a kids one, but a real book that I really enjoyed was A Passage to India by E.M. Forster. It was really a great book.

8 comments:

Cindy Feuz said...

Enjoy your Valentine's evening. You deserve a nice night after a long week of feeling not well. I don't think I'll be going anywhere in the snow. I have a lot of little things to do at home anyway. I just a got a swing today off of KSL.com. come over sometime and see my baby things.

sagebrushandbuttercups said...

Happy, Happy Valentine's Day!!!

Alainarae said...

I love how you say "our valentines days are really low key.." isn't this your first one as a married couple? lol.. and second one total? It's nice to have such a nice valentine! Hope you're feeling better!!

Cindy Feuz said...

I was thinking the same thing Alaina, I just was being nice not saying it!

Unknown said...

Duh, we were together last year for Valentines Day and decided we liked what we did. We can decide what we want to do after the first one. It was nice too!

Brianne said...

Homecoming is one of my ALL TIME FAVORITE BOOKS!! The rest in the series are just as wonderful, too. It reminds me of the boxcar children books, which I also love. I'm glad to hear someone else out there reads books I love!

Ronda said...

Cherie- Thanks for the book list. We haveread the goose girl and the princess academy so we will definitely follow up. I just read the Shack this weekend and ti was very thought provoking. Read it and call me, I would love to discuss it with someone. Loves, R

Alainarae said...

sisters, I didn't mean anything by it! It's just funny..But I know why, it's because even though you haven't been together very long, it feels like forever. Just be happy you get to see your husband on valentine's day and other anniversaries, ok? Our traditions consist of being apart. 3 out of 4 years. So do what you want. I just thought it was kinda funny!