Friday, January 14, 2011

Books!

I've read two good books lately that I really liked. I thought I would share them.


The first is These is My Words by Nancy E. Turner. My sister Annie first told me about this book and then my friend Whitney, very graciously, loaned it to me. Thanks Annie and Whitney! I loved it! It is the journal of a woman living in the Arizona Territory and what her life was liked. It was really good. The main character, Sarah, is very easy to get to know and you get a very accurate picture of what life was like on that frontier. I have to admit that parts of the book made me cry and others made me so happy. I read it in just two days and I was sad when it was over. I wanted it to keep going. Annie told me there are two sequels to it, which I need to find at the library now, but she said the second one is okay and the third one is not that great. I will read them anyway because I just want to know more about what happens to Sarah. Everyone should read this book!


The second book I got by subtlety and cunning. Not really. Eli had checked it out from the library, and left it laying out. One day when I was going to work I decided I should bring a book because it's been really slow lately. I had just finished the other book, and wanted something good. Although this book is non-fiction, which I usually don't read, Eli said it was really good and it's a best-seller. So I took it and couldn't put it down till it was over. Thanks for letting me borrow it Eli! It's called Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand. This is the true story of Olympic runner and WWII veteran Louie Zamperini. I don't want to give it all away but it really is an amazing and true story about his life. She interviewed Zamperini extensively and he remembered everything. This book makes you really appreciate the generation that fought in WWII. It made me think of my two grandpa's and what they saw. One was at Pearl Harbor, the other was in the south Pacific and went through Japan days after the atomic bombs were dropped. This book does not hide the harsh realities of war and it really makes you think about how awful it really was. This book will inspire you and make you realize how strong and capable we all really are when it comes down to it. Go read this book! You won't be disappointed.


Other honorable mentions from my readings lately: The Green Smoothies Diet by Robyn Openshaw, On Becoming Baby Wise, Hunger Games trilogy, and well, I guess that's it. I haven't been reading that much lately. I sleep a lot more.
Enjoy those books. Let me know if you read them so we can talk about it!

2 comments:

Kyle said...

All the ladies in my book club have read "These is My Words," and highly recommended, but said it was a major tear jerker. I just finished, "Winter Garden" it was pretty good, and also made me cry a lot. Maybe its not a good book for a new mother though....-Emily

Megan Wyman said...

Did you like Hunger Games? I wanted to get the series for my brother for Christmas, but was too scared because I hadn't really heard anything about it.